Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Potato Peel Pie...Yum!

At Christmas time I decided I was going to make more of an effort to read things that are more current, i.e. published in the last year or so. I had seen The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on the store shelves and had been tempted and finally picked it up. I’m so glad I did as I absolutely LOVED it.

Part of the reason I loved it is that the story unfolds through a series of letters. There is no single narrator telling the story. There is a central character, Juliet, ironically a newly famous writer in post-World War II England. Through correspondence to her editor, best friend and a set of new found friends on Guernsey, what unfolds is a poignant story of regular people trying to heal very deep wounds, regain a sense of normalcy and find love, in the aftermath of World War II and the Nazi occupation of the island of Guernsey. All of the various correspondents are brought together deftly and the choice of narrative is unique and fun. This book is charming and the humour and sensitivity of Juliet is really lovely. Absolutely one of my best reads of the year.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Mary Ann Shaffer
Random House

0 comments: