Friday, January 14, 2011

Sometimes, You Need a Good Zombie Story

I've made no bones about it (no pun intended).  I am a vampire girl.  Love my vampire stories: classic, gothic Dracula by Bram Stoker; sexy, smart Louis and Lestat of  Vampire Chronicles (or just the first three books) by Anne Rice or the campy, sensitive, hunky, Edward of Twilight

However, last year, I came across a little book about zombies.  Well, I guess if it's on the New York Times bestseller list and being made into a movie, it's not exactly a little book.  I'm talking about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I know what you're thinking:  Pride and Prejudice, classic Jane Austen, one of my all time favourite books, and....ZOMBIES???


Seth Grahame-Smith takes Jane Austen's original text and adds a twist.  England has been beset by a plague of the undead who are ravaging the country side.  The Bennet girls, have been trained in the fine art of zombie fighting.  Elizabeth, Austen's smart and witty heroine has distinguished herself as a world class zombie fighter (much to her mother's dismay and father's pride).  Add in Mr. Darcy, a notorious zombie fighter himself, and the comedy of manners turns hilarious.  Not only do Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy battle wits and words but also declarations of zombie fighting superiority.

There was a bit of a run on taking classics and giving them a B-movie horror treatment.  I've read lots of reviews moaning and groaning about bastardizing Austen's classic masterpiece.  I say, stop taking yourself so seriously.  Really.  All you Austen groupies who are moaning about the sacred text being trashed, belittled, relegated to dime store novel, pulp fiction.  Get over yourself.

This is just good old fashioned fun.  I love Austen as much as the next English major and I laughed all the way through and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I thought it was cute, clever and fun.  Something a little different. 

I don't think I'll rush out and read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters.  But I just may try Mr. Darcy Vampyre


Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith

0 comments: