Sunday, August 10, 2008

Coming Soon

I confess that consistency has not been my strong suit when it comes to this blog.  There really isn't any excuse.  While I was travelling heavily in May and June (and reading a ton), I have been off since the middle of July.  Yes, I am taking a 6 week break to recharge my batteries, cleanse the mind, spend time with the kids and go hang on a variety of beaches in Greece for a couple of weeks.

Since we are leaving in a matter of hours, I don't have time to do a full review but thought I would give a preview of things to come:

I Was Told There Would be Cake - mediocre book of essays
Disgrace - read it after I saw the author's name (J.M Coetzee) on the Globe and Mail top 50 books.  
Remember Me - by Sophie Kinsella of the Shopaholic series.  Light and fluffy, easy and breezy and all those other adjectives people use to describe girlie books perfect for beach reading.
Julie & Julia - this was a great little book about the Julie/Julia project.  Cooking, drinking and self examination.

I've been reading lots of kids/youth books with the kids too.  We finished the last Harry Potter with Sam so he is completely stoked that we can now go to the theatre to watch the movies (for those of you who didn't know, we have a rule that Sam needed to read the books before he could see the movies).  We are now reading a series by Chris D'Lacey about dragons.  We are about half way through the first book The Fire Within which we are really enjoying.

Satchel just read his first chapter book, Charlotte's Web.  He really liked it and I was pleasantly surprised that he stayed focused enough to follow the story.

I am taking Twilight with me to see what all the fuss is about.  More reviews to come!

0 comments: