Sunday, July 22, 2007

It's Here!!

It's here. Harry Potter arrived on my doorstep yesterday. I wasn't here but I was very excited anyway. Just got back from a long weekend in New York City with Doug, my brother Christopher and his wife Sheri. This was Christopher's 30th birthday present, complete with a trip to his personal Mecca: Yankee Stadium.

New York was completely buzzing with excitement leading up to the midnight Saturday release. On Friday afternoon, the Scholastic Book Store in SOHO had closed part of the street (Prince Street I think) with a whole Harry Potter festival. The area featured Press registration at "The Daily Prophet", face painting, wand making, and a working Whomping Willow. 

It was really quite something to see: little kids in their Gryffindor robes and Harry Potter glasses and wizarding hats celebrating this book. How many little kids get this excited about a book? Of course there were also the grown ups also dressed in full Harry Potter gear which recollects Star Trek, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings geek festivals. The teenaged Hermiones complete with kilts and knee socks added an even rawer element (however, they were walking down 6th at 11 pm and I can't be positive they were waiting for the book).

The kids should be in bed in the next 20 minutes and then I'm going to crack open that spine. I'll surface when I finish and hope with all my heart that it can live up to the hype.

0 comments: